George Straat 2 , Leeudoringstad | | +27 18 581 2180 | |

Where did everything begin

The inception of TAU Mills was in 1995 when an existing mill in Leeudoringstad was purchased by the Viljoen family. The main purpose at that stage was to process their own maize that was produced by their farming activities. The original mill was very small with a capacity of only 1.5 tons per hour.

They immediately started a process of upgrading and extending of the mill and in 1999 the capacity of the mill reached 7.5 tons per hour. Further upgrading was undertaken in 2004  and the existing structure was extended into a 5 storey steel structure as well as upgrading of equipment in the mill. This project was completed by the well known engineer Brian Legg and the capacity of the mill was increased to 13 tons per hour.

The upgrading and extending of the mill is a continuous process and  during 2018 capacity reached 34.5 tons per hour.

Hominy chop is a byproduct of the milling process and in 2003 an animal feed plant was erected in order to make use of it. This facility was also continuously upgraded and extended and capacity was increased from 1200 tons per month to 7500 tons per month currently.